Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Serving Crazy with Curry

I am currently reading Serving Crazy with Curry by Amulya Malladi, which humorously describes a woman's pressure to marry and become a traditional Indian wife and the humiliation os losing her job in Silicon Valley. She tries to commit suicide as a result, only to be found and rescued by her obsessive mother. This book was recommended to me by Sophie, when I was going through my brother's suicide attempts, and I am finding it very insightful and genuine. I don't know whether the author has any firsthand experience with suicide attempts, but it reads in a refreshing and candid tone. The characters are delightful and remind me of Bend it Like Beckham, which remains one of my favorite movies. I am not finished yet, but I have a feeling that it will warrant a high rating!

No comments: